Harmony Week celebrates Australia’s cultural diversity. It’s about encouraging inclusiveness, respect and a sense of belonging for everyone.
Aussie schools participate in Harmony Week by encouraging students to wear orange throughout a week in March, and some run fun cultural events (like International Food Days), as well as integrating Harmony Day activities in to the curriculum.
Raising awareness of Harmony Day
It's simple enough to "wear orange", but you’ve got to follow it up with something else to make it count!
It's a perfect opportunity to discuss in classrooms what Harmony Day is and means to us as a community.
We love the great selection of classroom resources at Harmony.gov.au, which are suited to different age groups.
When you're raising awareness of a cause at school, and requiring a "costume" for the day, parents will inevitably shop for items.
This is were it makes sense for you to provide solutions for parents, and in turn, earn some money for your cause through your affiliation.
Your cause could be a charitable donation (e.g. to a registered charity), or it could be a P&C project you're working on (e.g. providing air conditioning in classrooms).
For Harmony Day, you could simply ask for the children to wear orange, with no donation required, and inform parents:
"For those that are looking to purchase orange items, you can do so through www.SchoolPonytails.com.au > Shop by School > Find our School. This affiliation supports our P&C's fundraising goals of raising $X for Y."
To make it a success, don't forget to communicate with parents:
- Be sure to tell parents what Harmony Day is/means.
- Always tell them what you're fundraising for.
- Give them time to prepare.
- Provide reminders.
School Ponytails Supports Your Awareness Causes
All schools that are already registered to Fundraise with Bows via School Ponytails have orange items showing on their school pages right now. This makes it really easy for parents to shop, and for your school to earn 20%.
We've provided marketing materials and resources to the schools that have registered to our free Fundraise with Bows program. They have access to:
- Social posts, including posts on what Harmony Day is
- Facebook Group Cover Page
- Posters that can be printed and placed around school, or put in your Newsletter/app.
- Order Forms (for those that would like to print and distribute them).
For parents to shop, the directive is simple: head to www.SchoolPonytails.com.au > Shop by School to find your school.
If you're not already involved with School Ponytails' award winning Fundraise with Bows program, we can get you started in time for the next event:
- Your school's P&C earns 20% through online sales, or pre-orders on order forms.
- There's no risk and no cost to your Parents' Association with online sales and pre-orders.
- Wholesale pricing is activated for optional Uniform Shop or event purchasing.
- There's something for girls and for boys!
- Resources are provided, to maximise your revenue, and minimise the effort required from your volunteer network.